This mug is massive! I was trying to come up with a simple DIY gift for my aunt a little while back. She always ends a conversation with, “I love you more than my luggage.” I think this is just so cute of her. There are gifts you can buy with the saying but I still wanted it to be more personal…and a little funny. I’m rarely serious. My aunt loves coffee. If a 12 oz. mug works for most, a 48 oz. mug is MUCH better! I just made that last measurement up. I have no idea how big this mug is. Big. That’s all I know.
My skills do not include painting on ceramic. Oh wait, they don’t even include painting. What a great idea this is. Geez.
- Mug (Michaels has the giant ones but even the dollar store has options)
- Ceramic Paint Kit (Michaels)
- Paintbrushes (Michaels – get a great artists brush, not a watercolor brush, silly)
- Pencil (for tracing)
- Coffee (optional. I put a bag of Starbucks in the mug…still with plenty of extra room)
With zero knowledge, little talent and instructions on the back of my paint kit, I went to town. Everything I needed to know was on this handy dandy yellow background. I found an image online that was similar to what I wanted so I just started winging it. It was super-easy and I was so happy with how it turned out.
- Found image
- Used a pencil to trace a basic outline
- Filled in the tracing and added a few extra touches (and covered up mistakes)
While you might not opt for a giant mug, you could pick up some of your favorite colors and styles and create a personalized gift for a housewarming party, a mug swap or just because you want a super-rad mug.