In a perfect world, you’d wake up each morning, do what you love and get paid gobs of money for doing it. You wouldn’t have to deal with office drama, feeling bored and dreading that inevitable Monday morning.
That’s not possible for many of us. So, what do you do in order to not go bat sh*t crazy in the corporate world?
Have you thought of blogging?
What is blogging?
It’s a web log. Shorten the words and smoosh ’em together and youv’e got yourself a
It’s a form of networking. You write, you share and people read. That’s the most simple way to put it.
You’re reading a blog right now.
Who can blog?
You. When you’re at work thinking of all the things you’d rather be doing, what’s at the top of your list? What do you want to rant about? What makes you feel empowered?
What kind of blogger are you?
According to Zemanta.com, there are 7 types of bloggers:
- HEDONIST: Hedonists promote different lifestyles to enrich people’s daily routines. They are emotional and are not afraid to express feelings or reach out to others.
- TECHIE: Techies don’t get much satisfaction from the writing process, but enjoy spreading their word, sharing knowledge and educating.
- PROFESSIONAL: Professionals present accomplishments and seek feedback from their followers. For them, blogging is all about making connections.
- PREACHER: Preachers enjoy sharing content and interacting. They are all about studying content, presenting key viewpoints and opening a platform for further discussion.
- LIFE IMPROVER: Life improvers share know-how, give support and instruct people how to improve their life.
- BEAUTY HUNTER: Beauty hunters create or promote beautiful things, educate others and exchange opinions.
- LIFE STAGER: Life stagers are focused on life task situations, such as parenting, student life, marriage, senior life, etc. They are focused on emotional benefits of blogging. They search for help or they want to share their experience and make someone else’s life easier.
More of a visual person?
What should you name your blog?
To figure out a name, you can use your own (that’s easy) or you figure out what your blog is going to be about.
How do you figure out what you want to write about?
Think about this: When you want to escape or just get away from it all, what do you resort to? Crafting? Organizing? Talking with friends? Research?
Whatever your answer is probably describes your passion. Your passion is likely what you’re great at…naturally.
Now you have your subject and can come up with your name.
How and where do you start a blog?
Starting a blog is free. Now that you’ve discovered your name (ish), you can go to any of the following blog options (they are listed with the first three being the most popular) and get started.
We listed our 4 favorites and have enlisted the help of LifeHacker to explain our favorites.
WordPress is a popular open source blogging platform along the lines of the venerable Swiss Army knife.
Blogger is a popular and free blogging service owned by Google. Blogger’s big draw is ease of use and nearly instant setup. You can go from blog-less to publishing your first post in under 15 minutes thanks to its extremely easy setup process.
Tumblr is an interesting fusion between a full-fledged blog and a Twitter feed. Known as short-form or micro blogging, the style of blogging on a Tumblr blog is focused on short and frequent posts that are normally longer (or more focused on media like images or video) than Twitter updates but not as involved and formal as a regular blog post.
Posterous aims to be an absolutely no-fuss and zero-stress way to blog. You don’t need to sign up, you don’t need to know any code, you don’t need to know how to do anything but send an email to set up your own Posterous blog and start sharing your ideas and media. Simply email from any email account and Posterous will create a YourName.Posterous.com blog for you.
Don’t let the at-work boredom consume you. Take control. You can be a better person for everyone else if you take a moment to let out your passion!
Want to turn your blog into a paying business?
It’s all in our “Take your Business Online” eBook HERE. Instantly download today.
Once you get going, share your blog with us! We wanna read!! Have one already? Comment below by telling us what your blog is about and include the link!
This post has been linked to the GRAND Social linky.